Whether a runner is training for the next marathon, a 5K or run for exercise any run could result in injury. Runners go out and buy shoes etc to prevent being injured while running. Many runners are not aware of the benefits of chiropractic care offers not only in treating injuries but preventing them as well. Achieve Wellness is here to provide some tips for you runners out there.
Running has many health benefits and can be effective for each of the following:
- Weight loss
- Decreased stress levels
- Increase good cholesterol levels
- Reduces heart attack risk
Casual runners and those training at a higher levels need to be aware of the potential for injury.
Common Injuries In Runners
- Knee problems
- Swelling of the achilles tendon
- Plantar fasciitis
- Shin splints
- Stress fractures
- Ankle sprains
- Pulled muscles
With running injuries prevention is key in order to avoid injuries that require extensive physical therapy, pain medication even orthopedic surgery. Consider how a trip to the chiropractor every now and then could be useful in avoiding injuries.
For runners malalignment can be the result of the following:
- Running on uneven surfaces such as the beach
- Wearing the same shoes for too many kilometers
- Running the same course every day
- Running in the same direction every day
Chiropractors can help
Ideally a runner should see a chiropractor anytime he/she feels pain or restriction on any joint. Feeling “ off “ is an indication for a runner that something is out of alignment. If a big event such as a marathon is the reason a runner is training they might consider seeing a chiropractor on a regular basis.
A chiropractor can help in the following ways:
- Ease stress and pressure caused by the repetitive movements of runners
- Keep the body moving efficiently
- Relieve strained muscles
- Improve balance and coordination
- Maintain proper alignment of the spine for optimum performance
Tips for runners:
Running is great for endurance, cardiovascular strength and overall health no matter what your skill level. Peak performance can only be achieved if your body is in proper alignment. A spine that is not in proper alignment can lead to undue stress on some body parts and not allow for the equal distribution of pressure. This could result in a number of problems and even possible injuries.
- Don’t just run. Cross training, stretching even yoga or other activities help avoid injury to joints throughout your body.
- Practice good posture. This is key to preventing injuries and unnatural stress on your body.
- Easy does it. Train with a reasonable schedule and build up slowly. Going too fast or too slowly will only lead to injury.
Searching for a chiropractor in Kissimmee contact our office at Achieve Wellness.